Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had a butternut lurking in my fridge for quite some time, was eating alone and not keen on too much effort. The it hit me - wouldn't bacon, onion & green pepper make a particularly yummy filling for it? Then my eye caught some fresh mint leaves in the bottom of my fridge, and I ended up with this fabulous blend of flavours. The combination of the sweet butternut, the salty bacon and the mint is fantastic!
- 1 butternut squash, sliced in half, lengthways
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 250 g bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs mint, finely chopped
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Put the butternut in a saucepan filled with a little bit of water, cover and cook until soft, but still sturdy enough to hold the filling.
- Heat a separate pan and fry the bacon for a few minutes. Add the onion and green pepper and cook until done. Add a little oil, if necessary. Now add the tomato and mint and cook further until well mixed and done.
- Scoop out some of the flesh of the butternut, and fill the resulting hollow with the bacon mixture. Sprinkle over some grated cheese and quickly pop under the grill to melt.