Recipe by Alisa Lea
This came from a cookbook called "Like Grandma Used To Make". I love the addition of the bacon.
Top Review by **Mandy**
I made this as directed but also added some chopped red capsicum for extra colour, went really nice with our casserole main, I did overcook mine a little (forgot to use the oven timer) but it was still lovely!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Reserve 3 tbs. bacon drippings.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, bacon drippings and bacon pieces. Add to the dry mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8x8x2 baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden.