Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Just a Pinch Recipes, by Cheryl Miller. Posted here for safekeeping... will be making soon!
- 16 ounces frozen phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 2 cups bacon, crisp and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 stick cinnamon (4-inch)
- Thaw the phyllo at room temperature for 2 hours. Cut in half crosswise to get sheets approximately 9x13 to fit the baking pan. Keep the phyllo covered at all times with waxed paper and a damp tea towel to keep it from drying out.
- Lightly butter the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Place one sheet of the phyllo in pan and brush carefully with melted butter. Add 7 more sheets, brushing each with butter.
- In a bowl, combine the walnuts, pecans, bacon and the 3/4 cup sugar. Mix well. Sprinkle 1 cup evenly over the pastry in the pan. Drizzle with some melted butter.
- Top with 4 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. Sprinkle another cup of nut-bacon mixture, drizzle butter.
- Repeat the 4-sheet / nut mixture / drizzle routine 4 more times. Place the remaining 8 sheets of pastry on top, brushing each with melted butter.
- With a sharp knife, cut diagonally, cutting to but not through the bottom layer. Continue cutting at about 1-inch spacing until you have approximately 48 diamond-shaped pieces.
- Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Remove from oven; finish cutting diamonds; cool thoroughly.
- When pastry is cooled, prepare the syrup in a saucepan, combining the 2 cups sugar, the water, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks. Boil gently for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon, stir well.
- Pour warm syrup evenly over cooled pastry. Cool completely. Store loosely covered at room temperature.