1 hr 30 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
From Just a Pinch Recipes, by Cheryl Miller. Posted here for safekeeping... will be making soon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces frozen phyllo dough
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 2 cups bacon, crisp and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1Thaw the phyllo at room temperature for 2 hours. Cut in half crosswise to get sheets approximately 9x13 to fit the baking pan. Keep the phyllo covered at all times with waxed paper and a damp tea towel to keep it from drying out.
- 2Lightly butter the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Place one sheet of the phyllo in pan and brush carefully with melted butter. Add 7 more sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 3In a bowl, combine the walnuts, pecans, bacon and the 3/4 cup sugar. Mix well. Sprinkle 1 cup evenly over the pastry in the pan. Drizzle with some melted butter.
- 4Top with 4 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. Sprinkle another cup of nut-bacon mixture, drizzle butter.
- 5Repeat the 4-sheet / nut mixture / drizzle routine 4 more times. Place the remaining 8 sheets of pastry on top, brushing each with melted butter.
- 6With a sharp knife, cut diagonally, cutting to but not through the bottom layer. Continue cutting at about 1-inch spacing until you have approximately 48 diamond-shaped pieces.
- 7Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Remove from oven; finish cutting diamonds; cool thoroughly.
- 8When pastry is cooled, prepare the syrup in a saucepan, combining the 2 cups sugar, the water, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks. Boil gently for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon, stir well.
- 9Pour warm syrup evenly over cooled pastry. Cool completely. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.0
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 97.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: