Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Colorado State Fair winner. Use for BLT sandwiches.
Make and share this Bacon and Sun Dried Tomato Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 3⁄4-3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope fast rising yeast (instant and or bread machine yeast)
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very warm water (120 - 130F)
- 2 tablespoons very warm water (120 - 130F)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1⁄3 cup drained chopped, sun-dried tomato (packed in oil)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (plus additional for brushing top of loaf)
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, basil and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add water; mix on medium speed of mixer for 1 minute. Add in bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and butter; mix to combine. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Form dough into a smooth loaf and place in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 30 to 40 minutes, or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. Brush top with melted butter, if desired. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on cooling rack.