Recipe by Chef Shadows
Source: The Outdoor Dutch Oven Cookbook - Sheila Mills. The cooking times will vary with your method of cooking. Camp cook time is shorter then conventional oven.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour, unbleached all purpose
- 6 slices bacon, uncooked, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe or package directions.
- Place crust in Dutch oven and up sides at least 1 inch, folding excess over to form double edges, or place in 9 inches pie dish ( if using a large Dutch oven you may need to make double the crust recipe.).
- Pierce crust bottom all over with fork and bake until pale golden ( about 350°F in a conventional oven ), about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add leeks and parsley, and saute' until soft. Stir in flour.
- Spoon mixture onto crust.
- Cook bacon until crisp and drain. Sprinkle bacon over leeks.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, cream, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and pour into crust.
- Bake in Dutch oven about 25 minutes, or in 350°F conventional oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until set in center.