Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hazelnut syrup is from selected gourmet food stores or sold in cafes as a coffee flavouring. Time does not include overnight freezing.
- 6 egg yolks
- 125 g caster sugar
- 900 ml heavy cream, plus extra to serve
- 150 g good-quality dark chocolate
- 40 g good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 250 g nutella
- 1 -2 tablespoon hazelnut syrup
- 2 -3 hazelnuts, chocolates quartered, to garnish (Baci Chocolates)
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Place 600ml of the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until at scalding point. Add to the egg yolk mixture, beating to combine.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Cool slightly, then stir cream mixture into chocolate.
- Add cocoa, place in a saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. Cool a little, whisk in Nutella and syrup, then cool further. Whip remaining cream and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Lightly grease a 25 x 11cm terrine and line with plastic wrap. Fill the terrine with the ice-cream and smooth the top. Freeze overnight or until firm. Remove from the freezer, dip the base of the terrine in a little warm water, then gently ease out onto a serving platter, discarding the plastic wrap. To serve, garnish with the extra cream and the chopped chocolates.