Recipe by Member #610488
Speciality of the kitchen of the Hotel Excelsior Grand Hotel Principi di Piemonte, Torino, Piemonte, Italia and comes off a clipping out of my grandmother's recipe box.
- 1 cup sweet almonds
- 1 cup bitter almonds
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch and toast the almonds. Peel and chop them very finely or crush them in a mortar with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the vanilla, beat egg whites till stiffened, then fold in the almonds.
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip. Pipe 2 l/2-in. wide rounds about 1 1/2 apart on a buttered baking sheet and flatten them a bit.
- Sift the confectioner's sugar over the tops and let stand at room temperature 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and bake for about 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool. Amaretti may be kept in a sealed box for several days.