Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 mins
Totally addictive. You can't eat just one. A nice holiday appetizer.
- 24 slices pumpernickel miniature party rye rounds
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place bread slices on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Add flour; whisk continually until smooth.
- Add cheddar cheese and whisk until cheese melts.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook and whisk continually over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add in turkey, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Spread warm cheese sauce evenly over bread slices.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 2 minutes or until Parmesan is melted.
- Serve hot.
Low cal. these are not, but YUMMY they are!!!
I was extremely disappointed! To be fair, some people said they liked them a lot, so I am 'upping' my rating to 4 stars.
Oh WOW!!! I made these totally yummy appetizers over Easter weekend. I set them out on the table and had to stand back and watch as they were immediately demolished by my family. The ingredients went together so well and I wish I had doubled the recipe. This would be good for any party or family occasion. Thanks Nurse Di, for another top-notch recipe.