Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Boston lettuce and homemade croutons are the key to this salad. I make this often, especially good in the spring and summer.
- 12 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread
- seasoning salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherries or 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 heads boston lettuce, washed and drained well
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet, drain and crumble bacon.
- Cut bread into 3/4 inch cubes to measure 2 cups.
- Heat fat over medium heat and saute bread cubes, seasoned with a little seasoning salt, stirring until golden brown.
- Transfer croutons to paper towels, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise and water and salt and pepper to taste.
- Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces, add tomatoes, onion, bacon, croutons and toss with dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent! The dressing is so simple, yet so, so easy....I followed this exactly and if you do too, it will be so yummy, you will be climbing back in the fridge to get out more lettuces. How is it to blend together fresh lemon, garlic, and mayo. The dressing makes more then you think, but I put my extra in a bottle and it kept for 2 days. Thank you!!
I tagged this mainly for the dressing, but also enjoyed the added bacon and awesome croutons!!! I enjoyed a salad at a very expensive chain steakhouse, that the dressing was almost just like this dressing and have always been looking to make it at home and feel I did when making this dressing!! I used iceberg lettuce, added carrots and celery, and subbed green onion for the red onion. The dressing, croutons and bacon really make this a 5 star salad!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game.
Great summer salad SarahLikes2Cook!! I threw in a handful of fresh basil leaves from the garden at the last minute. This is a keeper for summer salad recipes!