Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs 5 mins
This recipe was originally published as a pie recipe. When I saw how much ice cream was required and looked at the size of my pie plate, I decided to do it in a springform pan instead. It is easier to freeze in that type of pan and easier to serve afterwards.
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream
- 2 tablespoons irish cream
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (I used Triple Sec)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the wafer crumbs into a bowl and stir in the butter until evenly moistened.
- Firmly press over the bottom and about 1" up the sides of a 9" springform pan.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place in the freezer to cool, about 20 minutes.
- When the crust is cool, measure the chocolate ice cream into a bowl and cut into small chunks.
- Drizzle with the Irish cream liqueur and mix it in as best you can. Don't let the ice cream melt completely. It should resemble a very thick milkshake.
- Spoon into the cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Freeze until firm on top, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, measure out the orange juice concentrate into a small bowl to soften.
- In another small bowl, stir the coffee granules with 1 teaspoons warm water.
- When the bottom layer is firm, measure 2 cups vanilla ice cream into a bowl.
- Stir in the coffee and dollop over the chocolate layer, then spread over the top.
- Freeze until the top is firm, about 15 minutes.
- Place the remaining 2 cups of vanilla ice cream into another bowl.
- Stir in the orange juice concentrate and orange-flavoured liqueur.
- Dollop over the coffee layer, then evenly spread over the top.
- Tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- For easy serving, place the cake on the counter and uncover.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes, just until you can slice.
- Garnish with chocolate curls or orange slices if desired.