Recipe by Seasoned Cook
A FAVORITE treat from childhood. My mother always liked to prepare these delicious goodies for her three daughters. We could not wait until they were cool enough to eat. The cinnamon and nutmeg add to the flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups self rising flour
- vegetable oil
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- sugar, and cinnamon mixture (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend sugar with beaten egg. Add milk and vanilla.
- Stir in apples. Mix cinnamon and nutmeg with flour. Lightly fold in flour mixture just until blended. Do not overstir.
- Drop by small spoonfuls into hot oil on low to medium heat. Fry until light brown on both sides.
- Place on paper towels.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or a mixture of half sugar and half cinnamon while hot.
- Skin may be left on chopped apples.