Recipe by daisy M
This is an interesting recipe from Flatbreads and flavors by Jeffery Alford and Naomi Duguid. I have to try this when avocados are in season this year. According to the author, this chutney goes well with puris and dosas.
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted (or 2 small)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh or desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 Thai chiles or 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded or desiccated coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry roast the 2tbsp of coconut in a dry skillet on medium heat. Stir constantly until uniformly golden brown.
- In a bowl, mash avocado. Add 1/4 cup of coconut, tomato and lime juice. Mix well.
- In a skillet, dry roast garlic cloves with skin over medium heat until skins start to brown. Remove skin and place in a blender. Add shallots to the blender along with salt and process to a paste.
- Add the garlic paste to the avocado mixture. Also, add cilantro and chilies. Stir well to mix. Garnish with roasted coconut and serve with dosas or puris.