Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A beautiful gelatin mold from times gone by. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup avocado, mashed
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 canned pimiento, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- salad greens
- mayonnaise (to garnish)
- Soften gelatin in cold water for five minutes.
- Add boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- When syrupy in consistence, add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Lightly spray your mold with cooking spray; pour mixture into mold.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold and serve on crisp, cold salad leaves and dress with a good quality mayonnaise.
We really enjoyed this! Had an abundance of avocados and this recipe seemed like good way of getting some of them used. This is not all unlike guacamole, and looks pretty, too. Nice in buffet table.