Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love both avocado and raw kohlrabi, so this salad is a favorite of mine. Enjoy!
Make and share this Avocado and Kohlrabi Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Peel the kohlrabi by cutting off the top and bottom, and peeling with a potato peeler.
- Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut the slices into chunks.
- Place in a bowl.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise.
- Tap the blade of a heavy knife in the pit, twist to remove, and discard.
- Quarter and peel avocados, then cut into chunks.
- Drizzle lime juice over avocados to prevent browning and to add flavor; set aside.
- Whisk together green onion, balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over kohlrabi and mix to cover.
- Mix together the chunked avocados and the kohlrabi mixture.
- Make a bed of the salad on four plates, and sprinkle each with feta cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
I made a variation of this as I had avocados and kohlrabi which both needed to be used up but no feta cheese or lime juice. Instead I used lemon juice and shaved in some parmesan towards the end -- a very nice combination and I'm sure the feta/lime mixture would be equally good. I do think 3 kohlrabi bulbs would be a bit much though. I had one with 2 avocados and it was plenty, both in terms of a ratio in the salad and also in terms of how much it made it total. We had enough for 4 appetiser servings. If you wanted a meal-sized portion you would have to add more but I personally would also increase the amount of avocado.
I made a smaller version of this salad, but I thought it was wonderful - crunchy and creamy, with a kick of lime. I did reduce all the ingredients, and the olive oil and lime juice a bit more than the others. (I didn't use the garlic powder, as I don't like it in uncooked dishes, but the salad was great without it.) It seemed like an odd combination of flavors when reading the recipe, but when I actually tasted it, all the flavors work together very well.
The idea of this salad seemed great but I do not care for it at all. I love all fresh vegetables I have ever tasted but this combo did not please me.