Kohlrabi Salad in Fennel Seed Dressing
photo by Vegetarian Hostess
- Ready In:
- 2 kohlrabi, bulbs
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1 california green chili pepper, minced (long green pepper)
- Peel the tough outer skin and cut the stems from the kohlrabi. Julienne the kohlrabi with a mandolin or in a food processor fitted with a julienned blade (you will have about 4 cups), and then julienne the carrot.
- If using whole fennel seed, toast the fennel seeds in a small dry sauté pan over medium heat until they begin to brown slightly and smell toasty. Transfer them to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, and grind them into a coarse powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ground fennel seed, vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, salt, pepper, garlic and chili. Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!