Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a traditional dish from Kerala, South India. Source: www.surfindia.com
- 1 cup yam, chopped
- 1 cup snake gourd, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup long runner beans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 fresh coconut, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 vegetable drumsticks, sliced
- 1 raw banana, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 3 cups coconut oil
- 5 green chilies
- 1⁄8 cup raw green mango, cut in 4 cubes (for sourness)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Coarsely grind the coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds. Keep it aside.
- Clean the vegetables.
- Heat 2 tbsps of coconut oil in a thick bottomed vessel.
- Add the vegetables and cook on a low flame. Do not add water.
- When it is done, add turmeric powder, salt and mix it well.
- Remove the vegetables from the middle and put sliced bananas and mango pieces and cover it with the other vegetables.
- When the steam comes out, add the coconut paste and stir well. Remove from fire.
- Mix the remaining coconut oil and curry leaves in the avial.
- Serve with rice.