Avena means oats in English and it’s a traditional Colombian drink that is rich, creamy and delicious. Great with breakfast or you could serve it at any time of the day. I use almond or soy milk to make this vegan. Use your preferred milk. From my columbian recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the water, milk and oatmeal in a saucepan over medium heat and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- 2Add the cinnamon stick, ground cloves and sugar and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
- 3Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.
- 4Place the oatmeal mixture in a plastic container and refrigerate for a least 3 hours.
- 5Discard the cinnamon stick and place the mixture in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Add more water if you like a thinner consistency.
- 6Serve ice cold, with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.
- 7Some people use a little sweetened condensed milk in this recipe. Sounds good!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avena Colombiana(Colombian Oatmeal Drink)
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 122.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 9.3 g