Recipe by Sharon123
Avena means oats in English and it’s a traditional Colombian drink that is rich, creamy and delicious. Great with breakfast or you could serve it at any time of the day. I use almond or soy milk to make this vegan. Use your preferred milk. From my columbian recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 4 cups milk (soy, almond, rice, or other)
- 1 cup water (or use more milk)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar (or honey or agave syrup)
- ground cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the water, milk and oatmeal in a saucepan over medium heat and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cinnamon stick, ground cloves and sugar and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the oatmeal mixture in a plastic container and refrigerate for a least 3 hours.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and place the mixture in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Add more water if you like a thinner consistency.
- Serve ice cold, with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.
- Some people use a little sweetened condensed milk in this recipe. Sounds good!