Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A New Orleans original! True comfort food for any Cajun. I dug this recipe up for *Denise*. I'm not sure where it came from but I think it is my sister's.
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 3 small bell peppers, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 4 -5 cups boiling water
- salt and pepper
- cajun seasoning (optional)
- Over medium heat make a roux with the vegetable oil and flour.
- Stir continuously until the roux is the color of a paper bag.
- Add bell pepper, garlic, green onions and Tabasco.
- Keep cooking until the veggies get soft.
- Add the tomato paste and the water, making sure to mix well.
- Add shrimp; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat, making sure to stir every once and a while.
- Uncover and cook until desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and Cajun seasoning if desired.
- Serve over hot white rice with french bread on the side to soak up the juices.