Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A New Orleans original! True comfort food for any Cajun. I dug this recipe up for *Denise*. I'm not sure where it came from but I think it is my sister's.
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 3 small bell peppers, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 4 -5 cups boiling water
- salt and pepper
- cajun seasoning (optional)
- Over medium heat make a roux with the vegetable oil and flour.
- Stir continuously until the roux is the color of a paper bag.
- Add bell pepper, garlic, green onions and Tabasco.
- Keep cooking until the veggies get soft.
- Add the tomato paste and the water, making sure to mix well.
- Add shrimp; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat, making sure to stir every once and a while.
- Uncover and cook until desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and Cajun seasoning if desired.
- Serve over hot white rice with french bread on the side to soak up the juices.
Ellie2, just so you know, mushrooms release A LOT of moisture when they are cooked. There is also a pretty big difference between 2lbs of shrimp and 3lbs of shrimp. All of these things could have contributed to the extra "sauce." Plus, Shrimp Creole is very 'saucy' to begin with. Anyway, thanks for trying this recipe and I am glad you liked it.
Very good but I think it needs more hot sauceand/or more spice. I only used 2 pounds of shrimp and 2 bell peppers and I also added about 1/2 lb of mushrooms but I had too much sauce.