1 hr 10 mins
A New Orleans original! True comfort food for any Cajun. I dug this recipe up for *Denise*. I'm not sure where it came from but I think it is my sister's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 3 small bell peppers, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 4 -5 cups boiling water
- salt and pepper
- cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1Over medium heat make a roux with the vegetable oil and flour.
- 2Stir continuously until the roux is the color of a paper bag.
- 3Add bell pepper, garlic, green onions and Tabasco.
- 4Keep cooking until the veggies get soft.
- 5Add the tomato paste and the water, making sure to mix well.
- 6Add shrimp; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat, making sure to stir every once and a while.
- 7Uncover and cook until desired consistency.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste and Cajun seasoning if desired.
- 9Serve over hot white rice with french bread on the side to soak up the juices.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Spicy Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.3
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 662.5 mg
- Sodium 1126.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 74.8 g