Recipe by spatchcock
This is the recipe that is considered authentique by Capelina d'or and sian d'aqui, 2 associations that promote authentique Nice cooking. To all of those who consider beans and cooked potatoes a basic of this salad, I have to tell you that this is an invention of the famous chef Auguste Escoffier. A traditional salade nicoise does not contain cooked foods appart from hard boiled eggs. Originally it was a plain tomato salad with anchovies and onions and developped from there.
Top Review by EdsGirlAngie
This was a very tasty and healthy salad! I just couldn't use the anchovies, but I followed the rest of the recipe as posted and prepared a dressing that was not quite a 2 to 1 ratio of oil to vinegar (I like tangy flavors). I doubled the recipe and used half a can of tuna per salad. I don't know if it's traditional, but I'd love to try this with a healthy squeeze of lemon! And since I do like beans, I would plan on making this a more substantial salad next time including the white beans. Thanks for posting this, Anke!
- 1 tomatoes, quartered
- green onion
- 3 radishes, sliced or whole
- 1 stalk celery
- basil, chopped
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, quartered
- 3 -5 non-salted anchovies
- tuna, to taste (optional)
- salt, to taste
- oil, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
Directions See How It's Made
- take a plate and rub with the halfed garlic clove.
- arrange the vegetables, egg and anchovies on the plate.
- salt and pepper and sprinkle with olive oil and vinegar.
- If you serve several people,multiply the portions and you might want to just arrange the veggies etc on the plate and put oil, vinegar and salt and pepper on the table.
- According to season the purists allow fresh artichocs and.
- little white beans (since those need to be cooked, I suppose this is a concession to those who insist on beans).