Recipe by Culinary School Dropout
Fresh, flavorful, authentic.
Top Review by Chocolatl
First, don't let the title fool you. This is a cooked salsa.
Blanching worked all right with my tomatoes, but the jalapeno would not cooperate. I boiled it for a while, but still couldn't skin it.
I had a bit of of problem with the instructions. It wasn't clear what the texture was supposed to be, and I'm not sure why "cumin" in the ingredients list becomes "comino" in the directions. I did cut up the tomatoes and jalapenos, because I didn't think they'd work going in whole.
I didn't like this at all when I tasted it right after I made it. But after refrigerating it for several hours, it was a different story. The flavors blended beautifully, and in spite of the fact that the salsa is cooked, it had a wonderfully fresh taste.
This tastes very good, and I think it's a good salsa to use in cooking. Thanks for posting!
- 9 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil Tomatoes & Jalapeños in large pot of water until tomato skins wrinkle.
- Remove Tomatoes & Jalapeños from water and carefully remove tomato skins. Discard skins.
- Remove stems from Jalapeños and depending on desired level of heat desired, you may remove some or all of the seeds and pods inside the peppers.
- Place Tomatoes and Jalapenos into VitaMix or Blender.
- Add crushed Garlic Cloves, Cilantro Leaves, Quartered Onion, Ground Cumin (Comino) to VitaMix or Blender.
- Briefly pulse ingredients until desired consistency. Do not liquefy, but blend smoother than typical Pico de Gallo.
- Put large pot back on stove and add 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil. Heat oil over medium heat.
- Carefully add salsa mix from VitaMix or Blender (if oil too hot, mixture will splatter - be careful).
- Cook salsa over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Can be served warm with home made tortilla chips - refrigerate balance.