Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Osterpinzen also appear in Austrian bakeries during Lent. The texture of Osterpinzen is fine and almost cake like. The faint flavor of anise comes from steeping aniseed in white wine. Egg yolks add to the browning quality of these light yeast buns, requiring baking in a slow oven for a rather long time so that they will cook through before they become too dark.
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon whole anise seed
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Combine the wine and aniseed in a small bowl and allow to steep for 3 hours.
- Strain and reserve the wine.
- Measure the yeast, 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until well blended.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine the milk and butter in a saucepan.
- Heat and stir over medium heat until the butter is melted and the milk is hot.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into the well in the flour mixture.
- Stir until mixed, then beat until the batter becomes satiny and smooth.
- Beat in the egg yolks, the pinch of salt, the lemon zest, strained wine, and remaining flour.
- Mix until the dough is smooth and all the flour is incorporated.
- The dough will be soft.
- Cover the dough and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Divide into 12 equal parts.
- Shape each into a smooth, round ball.
- Place 3 inches apart, smooth side up, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Brush the buns with the egg glaze.
- With a sharp knife slash a cross on the top of each bun, making the slashes about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 12 buns.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book.