Recipe by scooterdog3
"Pumpkin" soup is a very popular dish during Australia's fairly mild but damp winters. Nearly every cafe and restaurant has their own version, but I like mine the best. It's great with liberal amounts of freshly ground black pepper, or even sweet chilli sauce.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash into manageable pieces, remove the seeds and peel.
- Place into a large saucepan and add stock& garlic powder.
- If stock does not cover squash, add some water until squash is just covered.
- Boil until squash is soft& yields easily to being poked with a fork (do not cover).
- Amount of stock should reduce slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a hand-held blender, puree squash& stock together.
- Place back on low heat& add cream cheese and black pepper.
- Cook until blended, then add sour cream.
- Serve with a swirl of cream, if desired.
- Can be frozen (I freeze single portions in ziploc bags).