Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My Great Aunt used this recipe and handed it down to my Mother. It is a staple in the Fall and Winter around my house.
Base for soup
- 1 lb chuck steak, cubed
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 -4 cups water
- 8 ounces frozen corn, thawed in microwave
- 8 ounces frozen green beans, thawed in microwave
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh carrots, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes (fresh herbs are hard to find in my area)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- ground cloves
- I use kitchen shears to cube and trim fat.
- Base: The 3 or 4 cups of water depends on how much evaporation your cooker creates. Simmer on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- After adding veggies and spices, stir and simmer until you are pleased with the taste. Approximately another 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Note: If I want to reduce cook time on this recipe I will sometimes saute` the celery and carrots before adding to the cooker.
- I usually serve corn fritters or cornbread with this soup.