Recipe by BigNanc
This caramel corn is so buttery and delicious. We made it at Christmas when friends were visiting and they ate half of it before it was even baked! My Aunt Jane gave it to me about 30 years ago.
- 9 quarts popped corn
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white corn syrup
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a large roaster.
- Pop popcorn (air popper works best) and place in buttered roaster.
- Melt butter (do not use margarine) in a large sauce pan. Add white corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. The soda will make the syrup foamy and thick.
- Pour over popcorn in batches, mixing thoroughly with wooden spoons between batches.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. Pour baked corn onto baking sheets and separate. Store in plastic bags.