This is from my Aunt Betty who has been making this for at least 50 years. She didn't remember where the recipe came from. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- For topping, heat butter and syrup in an iron skillet. Add apples and cook slightly 5 minutes. Arrange in the bottom of the skillet.
- For cornbread:.
- Combine all dry ingredients and form a "well" in the center.
- Beat together wet ingredients in the well. Stir until just combined. Spread gently over the apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Invert on a plate.
- Serve warm with butter and syrup.