- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- For topping, heat butter and syrup in an iron skillet. Add apples and cook slightly 5 minutes. Arrange in the bottom of the skillet.
- For cornbread:.
- Combine all dry ingredients and form a "well" in the center.
- Beat together wet ingredients in the well. Stir until just combined. Spread gently over the apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Invert on a plate.
- Serve warm with butter and syrup.