Adapted from Cooking Live, this is excellent! You may add more wasabi if you want more kick! This is good with other vegetables, meat, sandwiches and crackers!
- Blanch the asparagus in 2 batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 1 minute.
- Move to a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop it from cooking.
- Drain well and pat dry.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and wasabi paste until sugar is dissolved.
- Serve asparagus with dip.
- This dip is also good as a spread for sandwiches and as a topping for cooked veggies! Enjoy!
What a great, simple and quick sauce. It sure kicks asparagus up a notch. We had quite a bit leftover, so will try it on some other veggies later in the week. Next time I will be braver and add a little more of the wasabi paste.
Sensational combination of flavours. Made the sauce exactly as written using Best Ever Homemade Mayonnaise for the mayo. I can imagine many more uses for this wonderful sauce -- tonight we also drizzled it on our steaks and mashed potatoes. I think I'll make it again this week as a dip for Friday night drinks at work. Thanks so much for posting.
I love this sauce, and it is definitely my favorite way to eat veggies now. But, I prefer to roast the asparagus in oil for 12 minutes at 400*F or to fry it in a tablespoon of oil for 5 minutes over the much faster blanching. It just wasn't crisp enough for my liking.