Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice appetizer or side dish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 loaf good crusty bread, cut into thick slices about 1 1/2 inches wide
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 lb cambozola cheese, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F In an ovenproof skillet, melt the butter, add the bread, and toss to coat well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake about 15 minutes, until browned and crisp outside but still soft inside.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, combine the olive oil and water, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and boil off any remaining water.
- Sauti the asparagus in the remaining olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until cooked and light brown.
- Meanwhile: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the Cambozola in the cream.
- Add the thyme and season well with pepper.
- Place 1 or more slices of bread on each of 4 plates.
- Arrange the asparagus on the bread and pour the sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle each serving with pine nuts.
This was an incredibly easy way to prepare an wonderfully elegant side dish. I've never been able to cook Asparagus, but I've always wanted to incorporate it when cooking for a party. This is easy and shockingly flavorful way to make a visually appealing veggetable dish that everyone with enjoy. I overcooked my Asparagus a bit, and I wont make that mistake again.
This asparagus was OUTSTANDING (I did not make the bread). I love Cambozola but I have to say, this asparagus is fabulous even without the sauce. (I recommend making the sauce though) You will LOVE it! By far the best Asparagus I have ever made. Thank you for the recipe