Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
From America's Test Kitchen. This looks just wonderful. "To prepare the asparagus for this salad, we found that broiling concentrates the flavor of the asparagus and lightly caramelizes the peel. We prefer to use thin (under 5/8-inch) asparagus under the broiler-this lets us skip the peeling step and allows the spears to cook more evenly."
- 2 lbs thin asparagus, tough ends trimmed (2 bunches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to about 4 inches from heating element and heat broiler.
- Toss asparagus with oil and salt and pepper, then lay spears in single layer on heavy rimmed baking sheet. Broil, shaking pan halfway through to turn spears, until asparagus is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool asparagus 5 minutes and arrange on serving dish.
- Fry bacon strips in medium skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate and set aside.
- Whisk onion, vinegar, parsley, and oil in small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over asparagus, sprinkle with bacon, and serve immediately.