Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Adapted from a recipe in my Best of Country Cooking Cookbook collection. This quick pizza-like dish is great for an appetizer, or for a luncheon or light dinner. If garlic butter crescent rolls are available, I use 1 clove garlic; if not available, I use plain crescent rolls and 2 cloves garlic. I make this frequently for Sunday afternoon get-togethers. Since we go to church on Sunday mornings, I prepare everything the night before: I bake the crust, sauté ingredients and assemble everything, cover and refrigerate. When I get home from church all I have to do is take it out of the fridge and put it in the oven just until warmed through and cheese is melted. Couldn't be easier!
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ounce roasted red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) tubes refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, garlic butter flavor
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat, in butter until tender.
- Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; set the tips aside.
- Add remaining asparagus to skillet; sauté until crisp-tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add asparagus tips, mushrooms (if using) and pepper; sauté 1-2 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender.
- Press dough into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan; seal seams and perforations.
- Bake at 375F for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top with asparagus mixture and roasted red peppers; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares.
- Yield: 3 dozen.