Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I bought a bag of duck legs recently. There were 10 of them in a 2kg bag, all beautifully trimmed and ready to cook. Normal eaters might eat one each but we ate two and our son ate 3 of them!
- 2 kg duck legs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons green ginger wine
- Marinate duck in remaining ingredients for about 8 hours (from the morning until dinner time is good). Turn occasionally through the day.
- Heat oven to 160c/330f.
- Remove the duck from the marinade and lay on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 hours or until very tender.
- You may need to pour off the fat a couple of times during the cooking time.
- I served our duck on rice with Oriental Noodle Salad.
This marinade is wonderful! I subbed dry white wine and a tsp. of ground ginger for the ginger wine ( I will have to take a trip to the Asian market to find that!) I used duck leg quarters (leg and thigh). This marinade would be good on chicken thighs, also, and maybe on pork! This is going into my marinade collection! Thanks for posting.
This marinade is wonderful for duck. I don't usually make it with star anise, and substitute ginger + rice vinegar for the ginger wine, and it still turns out fantastic! Very flavorful, while still allowing the flavor of the duck to come through.
This marinade is awesome!!! I did make it with duck breasts instead of legs as when I went to the store they only had 2 legs left and they looked like they had seen better days. The duck came out perfectly tender and the skin was so yummy and crispy, obviously I didn't cook for that long as it was breasts and I cooked the duck skin side down in a fry pan first before transferring to an oven proof dish and finishing off in the oven. I even accidentally over cooked the duck, I got side tracked and was annoyed with myself thinking I had ruined them. I like my duck very pink in the middle and it wasn't but I guess I was saved by the marinade as the were still moist. My husband just kept raving at how good the flavour was. This is a definite keeper and I can not wait to try it with legs next time.