Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 mins
2 pounds scallops should give you 5-6 skewers, but the complete recipe can be doubled to 4 pounds, but each 2-pounds scallops will have to be marinated in two plastic bags using two rice wine/ginger mixtures.
- 2 lbs scallops (purchase the larger size scallops)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste or use red pepper)
- cooked rice
- chopped green onion
- In a bowl stir together the rice wine with 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, then pour the mixture into a ziploc resealable plastic bag, add in the scallops seal bag then turn to coat with the mixture.
- Chill scallops for 35 minutes (no longer than stated time or the rice wine will start to "cook" the scallops!).
- Meanwhile soak 6 (12-inch) wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes minimum.
- In a saucepan combine the brown sugar, ketchup, broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, minced garlic and red pepper flakes (if using) bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute; set aside.
- Remove scallops and discard the marinade.
- Thread scallops leaving about 1/2-inch apart onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side (time will vary depending on the size of your scallops).
- Brush scallops with the prepared brown sugar sauce, then serve immediately with remaining sauce.
- Serve with cooked rice and chopped green onions.
Fast, easy and quite tasty.