Recipe by Miss Erin C.
This is my submission for the first Ready-Set-Cook in 2002. I admit the slaw on the burger seems a bit weird, but it's really great. The noodle salad is kind of a knock off of my favorite dish! All in all this was a pretty quick meal to make.
Top Review by Mille®
I was unable to participate in the July 4th Cookathon since I had chosen to be part of an Emergency Services team on standby for local celebratory events. So on July 5th, I killed two birds – Cookathon and “Ready, Set, Cook!” – with one recipe, and this one was my lucky choice. The ginger and soy gave the burgers a delicious “oomph” but, for some reason, the ginger just didn’t seem to fit in with the salad. And the peanut butter and peanuts, while noticeably tasty in the slaw/burgers, just didn’t hit it off in the salad - I think perhaps it was more because of the texture rather than the taste. The slaw on the burgers was not in the slightest bit “weird” – hardly different from having a burger with slaw on the side! So the final verdict is that the burgers were definitely first-class and a most worthy contest entry, but it’s back to the drawing board with the salad.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 bag coleslaw mix
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 packages ramen noodles
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Burgers: Mix the tamari, sugar, garlic and ginger together.
- Pour about 1/2 of the sauce into the hamburger, mix gently.
- Form into 4 patties and top each with a spoonful of the sauce.
- Grill for about 4 minutes on each side, turning once.
- Brush on more sauce as you grill.
- Slaw: Mix the first 4 ingredients until well combined.
- Add the bacon, peanuts and coleslaw and mix until well coated.
- Noodle Salad: Boil some water in a medium saucepan, cook the ramen until tender, remove from the water In a saute pan, saute the broccoli in some oil until cooked through.
- Mix the last 7 ingredients in a small bowl until combined, pour over the broccoli and stir until it is heated through Add the noodles and toss.
- Serve the burgers on toasted rolls with a good sized helping of slaw on top of the burger, don't forget your side of noodle salad!