Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Canada's "Cook Like a Chef"
Make and share this Asian Chips and Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg roll wraps
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 ounce packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 lb tomatoes
- Preheat the oil to 350°F.
- Cut the egg roll wrappers, crosswise, cutting each wrapper into 4 triangular pieces.
- Fry in the vegetable oil until bubbled and golden.
- Remove them from the fat with a slotted spoon and lay them on paper towels to absorb any fat.
- Season with salt and pepper while still hot and keep them warm.
- Heat the red wine vinegar with the brown sugar, the five-spice powder (equal parts cinnamon, pepper, cloves, fennel seeds, star anise) and the red onion in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Peel, de-seed and dice the tomatoes.
- Add them to the red wine vinegar mixture and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Once the mixture has come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat and cool. Season to taste.
- Serve with grated fresh tofu on top of the salsa and chopped scallions and cilantro on the chips.