Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From the LCBO's spring Food and Drink...delish. If you're short of time, you can substitute two 19oz cans of chickpeas for the dried ones - just be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly first.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 (9 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Pick over chickpeas and rinse.
- Bring 8 cups of water and chickpeas to a hard boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
- Bring 8 more cups water, soaked chickpeas, and lemon grass to boil. Reduce heat. Cover partially and simmer 35-40 minutes (until chickpeas are tender). Drain and rinse chickpeas, and discard lemon grass.
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, and ginger for 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Scrape into large bowl. Add mandarins and almonds; stir to combine.
- Whisk together soy sauce and rice vinegar; drizzle over chickpea mixture. Sprinkle with coriander.