Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the June 2010 issue of Sunset Magazine. The first test run I prepared as indicated. The second time the arugula was replaced with watercress and the golden raisins with Turkish apricots. Other fruit options: standard raisins, deglet dates, medjoool dates. Nut substitution suggestions: almonds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, etc. Freshly made pasta would be fantastic!
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 2 cups baby arugula or 2 cups watercress
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic (reduced from 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnut pieces, plus 3/4 cup toasted walnuts pieces (read recipe intro)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste (reduced from 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (or other dried fruit-read recipe intro)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place the pesto ingredients (and only *1/4 cup* of the walnuts) in a food processor and whirl until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Drain the pasta and *reserve* 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return the pasta to the pan.
- Add the pesto, stir.
- Stir in the remaining walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, raisins/dried fruit and the reserved one quarter cup cooking liquid.