2 hrs 40 mins
Great for brunch!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
- 8 ounces arugula, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1For crust: Blend flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill until dough is firm enough to roll out, about 30 minutes. Roll out dough on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim dough overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick high-standing sides. Pierce crust all over with fork. Freeze crust 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep frozen.).
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Bake crust until golden brown, piercing with fork if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes. Transfer crust to rack. Reduce temperature to 375°F.
- 3For filling: Cook bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and drain. Add shallots to same skillet and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add arugula and sauté until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add balsamic vinegar; toss to combine.
- 4Sprinkle arugula mixture, then bacon over crust. Whisk cream, eggs, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend. Stir in cheese. Pour mixture into crust.
- 5Bake quiche until filling is slightly puffed and golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arugula and Bacon Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.4
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 165.6 mg
- Sodium 514.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 11.4 g