Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy appetizer with a spicy kick!
- 6 -8 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed,seeded and minced (use rubber gloves!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- Trim artichokes,removing stem and tough outer leaves.
- Trim top.
- Rub cut edges with lemon half.
- Cut lemon into slices and place in bottom of steamer.
- Fill steamer with water.
- Place artichokes in steamer basket and steam until tender and leaf can be pulled away from choke (about 15 minutes) Transfer to plate and allow to cool.
- Combine egg,lemon juice,vinegar,salt and pepper in blender container.
- Puree until smooth.
- Gradually add olive oil,drop by drop,and then in a steady stream with the motor running until thick,about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to small bowl and refrigerate.
- Arrange artichokes on serving plate,pull leaves away from the heart and arrange like flower petals around heart.
- Top heart with a dollpo of the mayonnaise.
I love artichokes and enjoyed trying a new sauce. I added just 3 slices of jalapeno for a milder kick, a pinch of sugar, and a little more salt. Thanks!