This easy side dish tastes good and looks beautiful. The center of the ring can be filled with another cooked vegetable, if desired. A word on prosciutto: in Italian it simply means ham and there are many varieties, both cooked (cotto) and raw (crudo). For this recipe I prefer thinly sliced cooked unsmoked ham. I bet you could coat the oiled mold with fine dry bread crumbs and eliminate the ham altogether. I found this recipe in San Francisco a la Carte by the Junior League of San Francisco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained (I pick them over to remove any leathery or spiny leaves)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- parsley, chopped finely, as garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Oil a 4-cup ring mold and line with prosciutto slices crosswise, leaving 2-3 inches of prosciutto hanging over the edge of the mold for enclosing later.
- 3Chop artichokes finely by hand or in a food processor.
- 4In a skillet melt butter and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- 5In a large bowl whisk the eggs lightly and add the cream, cheese, onion-garlic mixture and seasonings. Stir in the chopped artichokes.
- 6Pour the mixture carefully into the prosciutto-lined mold and fold over the overhanging prosciutto.
- 7Place in a pan of hot water in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 8Unmold on a platter, sprinkle the parsley over all, and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichoke Ring
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.0
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 210.3 mg
- Sodium 254.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: