Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe is from week nine of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every country on Earth, and Angola is my ninth stop. This is an Angolan side dish made from rice, coconut milk and papayas.
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 papaya, peeled, de-seeded and finely diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Thin the coconut milk with the water.
- Add the rice, salt and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut and seed the papaya, then finely dice it. Mash half of the dice and keep the other half as-is.
- Put both the mashed papaya and the diced papaya into the rice and mix, warming over the stove.