Recipe by DustyPyatt
A fantastic chicken and pork dish that creates a wonderful sauce that goes with rice.....from Casa Tina's in Dunedin Florida!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 lbs lean pork, in large squares
- 1 1⁄2 achiote paste, bars
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Spanish onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 bitter oranges
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, add the juice of the bitter oranges.
- Then add half to an entire large Spanish onion.
- Also add two tablespoons of garlic or four cloves.
- They will be blended, along with the other items.
- Now add the black pepper, cumin, dried oregano, chili powder and paprika.
- Season with a little bit of salt to taste.
- Pour half cup of red wine vinegar.
- And finish by adding the Achiote bars, you can find these at Latin supermarkets or ask at a Specialty store for condimented Annatto.
- Blend of the ingredients, to create a deep red sauce.
- Put chicken and pork in a large pot.
- Pour in the blended ingredients and make sure to mix them well.
- Cook,covered at a low to medium heat for two hours.
- To plate, place a cup of cooked white or yellow rice and then a cup of the Cabezón sauce over the top.
- You can also use the Achiote sauce to marinate other meats -- like fish.