Recipe by Chef Christine
I only saw recipes for Venezuelan and Ecuadorean Arepas so I thought I'd share this one. It's from my Colombian friend.
- 1 cup cornmeal (PAN harina)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup queso blanco, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup hispanic cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornmeal and water in a bowl.
- Add cheese and then buttermilk.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (low).
- Roll mixture into a ball and place in pan and flatten into a pancake, about a 4 inches circle.
- heat for about 5 minutes, continually checking that it does not burn.
- when it is golden brown flip over to other side for about five minutes.
- shred additional queso blanco on top and serve.