Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
We enjoy this cake. It comes from a 1940 publication by Kitchen Craft Recipes. It stands the testo f time and it is easily made. Try it, you and your family will like it. I recommend Mocha Icing for frosting
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Sift flour, measure; sift again with baking powder, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Cream shortening; add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add unbeaten eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add cooled melted chocolate; add nut meats.
- Add flavourings to milk.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into 2 well-greased 9 inch layer cake pans.
- Bake in moderate oven (375°F) for 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove cake from pans and cool on rack.
- When cool, frost with Mocha Frosting or Chocolate Seven Minute Frostings.
Made for Fall 09 Pac, made exactly per the recipe. The only problem I had was getting the cake out of the pans in one piece. You might want to consider flouring the pans also or using greased parchment paper in the bottoms of the pans. Otherwise this cake is a wonderfully flavored cake that was enjoyed by all. I used Recipe#70615 to frost this with using the dark chocolate cocoa with espresso instant coffee. Thank you for a great cake recipe.