Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came out of my Grandmothers 1941 cookbook "The New American Cook Book" I have recomended that you use cool whip rather than egg whites.
- 3 cups apricot puree
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 egg whites (Since this calls for egg whites-not cooked-I think I would sub in cool whip for the volume)
- Add sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract to apricot puree.
- Soak gelatin in 2 T.
- cold water for 5 min.
- Dissolve over hot water.
- Stir into apricot mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pie shell and chill overnight.
To learn more about the safety in consumming raw egg whites please consider this website where I learned that many dishes have raw egg whites in them. It's healthy and very unlikely to have any bacteria in it. Really should try recipes the way they are. *GRINS* http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/EggPasturization.htm
Very nice way to use my abundant ripe apricots. I used 250mls (1 cup) of Nutriwhip and it might have been a little too much,as I had enough for 2 pies. They were delicious and suited my summer barbeque very well