Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe, slightly tweaked, came from Taste of Home Summer Slow Cooker Meals, Jul 08.
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water, then add carrots, & bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat & simmer 9-11 minutes or until crisp-tender, then drain & set aside.
- In the same saucepan, combine remaining ingredients, & cook, stirring constantly until lightly thickened.
- Return carrots to saucepan & stir until glazed & heated through.
Delicious & company-worthy! I made these when we had guests over today. They tasted wonderful and looked beautiful. I'm definitely adding this to my list of sides that I make for when we invite people over for a meal. I steamed 2 lb. of baby carrots. I mixed the glaze ingredients in a bowl and microwaved it for a minute and then poured that over the carrots. I had to make some substitutions because of what I had on hand, so I used peach jam in lieu of the dried apricots and used country-style orange juice concentrate instead of the orange juice and the orange zest.
We're serving this for our Christmas Eve family dinner! Tried it with freh cranberries...not a good idea, it turned the carrots red. Still tasted wonderful, but lacked in the presentation on the plating (should have known better, but had to try!)! Will be going with your dried cranberry this time, really liked the taste and the look on your pics! Thanks for sharing!
Delightful! I used a spoonful of sugar-free apricot preserves instead of dried apricot, and whole baby carrots, otherwise made as directed. The cranberries and orange were great in this. The ginger was the perfect spice to pull it all together. Thanks for sharing the recipe!