Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Soak apricots for 20 minutes.
- Cream together 1 cup sugar, Shortening and egg.
- Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and orange juice.
- Add dry ingredients, blend well.
- Drain apricots, fold in apricots and nuts.
- Bake in greased and floured loaf pan at 350 for 65 minutes or until done.
Just a little too dry. Moisten with the water apricots are soaked in. When loaf has cooled wrap in foil & refrigerate 12 hours.
This was so delicious that the entire loaf was gone in one day! I also only used 1/2 cup of walnuts and found that to be a perfect balance against the sweet chewy apricots. I substituted 1 cup of white flour with 1/2 c ww and 1/2 c oat bran, which gave the bread a nice crunchiness. I'll be making this one for years.
Lovely bread, the house smelt great when this was being baked. I used only half a cup of chopped walnuts and 1 more tbsp. of margarine(I substituted the butter with margarine). I served this with grilled bananas.