Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
In memory of my beloved mother-in-law, Lisa. These bars freeze well and are one of Oma's many recipes that became favourites of ours.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, can substitute self-rising flour omit the baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, medium unsweetened
- 1 cup apricot jam, don't use calorie reduced as it is too watery use real jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Pat 3/4 of the dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a sprayed 9 x 11 shiny pan.
- Spread with jam - the amount is up to you whether you wish to use less than a cup or more.
- Sprinkle (or grate) the remaining dough over top.
- Bake for 35 minutes - until golden brown - depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven - use a pizza cutter to cut into squares, bars or diamonds and place on a wire rack to cool completely.