1/2 Photos of Apricot Glazed Chicken Drumsticks or Drumettes
1 hr 15 mins
You may use mixed chicken pieces in place of the legs for this recipe, also you can use about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds chicken wings, separated in half at the joint in place of the chicken pieces to serve at a get-togther, see note below --- I always add in a sliced green bell pepper and a sliced onion on the bottom of the pan but that is optional. Serve this with cooked rice. You will *love* this, I promise, the sauce is delicious and the amount is enough for up to 3 pounds of chicken legs or pieces :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks (you can use less than 3 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste, add in for extra heat) or 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper powder (optional or to taste, add in for extra heat)
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce (can use soy sauce in place of teriyaki sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/3 cups ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3Sprinkle the sliced green pepper and sliced onion in the baking dish, if using.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- 5In a skillet, brown the chicken in hot oil until very well browned on all sides.
- 6Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish on top of the onions and pepper slices.
- 7In a saucepan melt butter and saute the onion and garlic with chili pepper (beware! use only 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon chili powder it is VERY hot!) or chili flakes for about 3 minutes.
- 8Stir in all the remaining ingredients (except the cornstarch and water) bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20.
- 9In a small cup whisk together the cold water with cornstarch, add to the simmering sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- 10Pour the sauce over the chicken, with tongs turn the chicken pieces to coat with the sauce.
- 11Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken legs are cooked.
- 12NOTE* for wings (do not brown wings firstly)use about 3-1/2 pounds.
- 13Prepare the sauce as directed.
- 14Place the wings in a shallow baking sheet (omitting onion and green pepper) then pour the prepared sauce over wings, and turn to coat.
- 15Bake 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the wings are cooked.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot Glazed Chicken Drumsticks or Drumettes
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1239.3
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 306.8 mg
- Sodium 2270.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 153.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 97.6 g
- Protein 70.1 g