Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
A pastry crust filled with brandy soaked apricots and dipped in apricot glaze. Very presentable!
- 12 ounces dried apricots
- 1⁄2 cup apricot brandy
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter, , cut into 1/2 half cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large beaten egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Soak apricots in brandy for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and allspice, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- (can be done quickly with a few pulses in a food processor) Combine egg yolk and sour cream and gently blend mixture into butter/flour mixture.
- Divide dough in quarters and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or, preferably, overnight.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out each quarter the dough into 1/8 thickness, cut with a 2 1/2" round (fluted is preferred) cookie cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, place one apricot on half of each cookie and fold over other half to leave apricot partially exposed.
- Bake for aprox 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack.
- While baking prepare next batch.
- For icing combine powdered sugar with 2-3 tblspn of the reserved apricot brandy.
- I like to cook the brandy until the alcohol smell is gone, but it's fine either way.
- After completly cooled dip half the cookie in icing and leave on a wire rack to dry for several hours.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week, but are at their peak for 2-3 days.