Recipe by Impera_Magna
Found in a search and posted in response to a request to add this recipe to the Zaar database. I have not made this recipe so times are a guess-timate.
Top Review by Sheila V.
Turned out amazing, it took about a day for them to firm up and I dusted top with icing sugar/corn starch mixture after 6 hours, which helped the 'set'. A little sticky to handle and coat but well worth the effort. Alternatives that I tried and succeeded with - rosewater instead of vanilla, and apricot baby food instead of apple sauce; pomegranate jam/jelly, pressed through a mill to remove seeds instead of apple sauce. Definitely going to make this part of holiday baking tradition. I used this for a Kurdish meal I hosted - no leftovers!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce or 1 1⁄4 cups pureed cooked dried apricots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- powdered sugar, to coat finished candy
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix gelatin with 1/2 cup (125 ml) applesauce and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Put sugar and remaining applesauce in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in gelatin-applesauce mixture and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add walnuts and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour into greased 8 inch x 8 inch pan. Let stand overnight.
- Cut in squares and toss the squares in a paper bag of powdered sugar.
- From: http://www.online-cookbook.com/goto/cook/rpage/000DBB.