Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve warm with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup. The maple syrup gets my vote.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons malt-o-meal maple and brown sugar flavored hot wheat cereal mix, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cereal, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves, and nutmeg or allspice and set aside.
- With electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter or margarine in large bowl until creamy, 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture, beating until incorporated, then beat in one half of the applesauce.
- Repeat, with another third of the flour mixture and the remaining applesauce, then beat in the remaining flour mixture just until smooth.
- Gently stir in walnuts or raisins, and scrape batter into pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.
This was moist and delicious; especially good served with real vanilla ice cream! We had guests over this afternoon for dessert and coffee and this cake recipe fit the bill perfectly. I used plain farina cereal then beat in about 1 tablespoon of real maple syrup with the eggs. Added a dash of ground ginger, too. Didn't add the raisins only the walnuts. Thanks for posting your easy recipe. Everyone enjoyed it. cg ;)